Castle Island and Fort Independence
Other Ideas: Purgatory Chasm State Reservation; Massachusetts DCR State Parks; Walden Pond State Park; Boston Harbor Islands; Breakheart Reservation
Often missed by tourists, Castle Island is a great place to walk or roller blade, along Boston Harbor. This 22 acre land-bound island (it's the site of an old armory), features a number of interesting and entertaining sites including:
- Terrific walkways (great for rollerblading)
- Views of Boston Harbor and Logan Airport - watch the planes take off & land!;
- A shoreline string of parks and beaches with a large playground;
- Snack bar that includes burgers, fries, clam strips, drinks & ice cream;
- Harry McDonough Sailing Program, and of course:
- Fort Independence: the oldest continually fortified granite site on British North America, having played a variety of roles in colonial and revolutionary times.
Day Boulevard, South Boston, MA map
Take I-93 to Exit 15. Make a left at the light to rotary, and onto Day Boulevard, follow the water to Castle Island. You'll find free beach parking along the street the entire way, and a free lot for Castle Island at the end of the road.
MBTA bus service to Marine Park via the #9 from Broadway or the #5 from Andrew Red Line stations.
- You'll pass through one of Boston's great historic neighborhoods to get there. Take Broadway east until it ends at the water. You can stop at your choice of Irish pubs along the way.
Great place for FamiliesIt is a great place for famiies, has a playground and a fort which you can tour for a nominal donation. It is also a one of the best places to fly a kite. My family and I have been going here for over 30+ years and it is always a favorite. Let me not forget Sullivans where you can get great food at family friendly prices. You can also walk all the way around the Castle and the lagoon with great views of Boston.
|We make best efforts to update information, but it changes frequently, so we cannot warrant it. Please call to check Castle Island and Fort Independence schedules, fees, and directions before making the trek. We help you, please help us. Report an Error if you find one.|