Lowell City of Lights Parade
The City of Lights parade is an annual event that occurs in downtown Lowell in which City Hall celebrates the official start the holiday season.
The Annual City Of Lights Holiday Parade welcomes the holiday season with the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Claus and the traditional lighting of JFK Plaza and the Wannalancit smoke stack.
On Saturday, November 25 at 4:30 p.m., the parade will once again commence from Jackson Street and end at City Hall, where Santa Claus will make his first appearance of the season, and will throw the switch to light City Hall!
More than 10,000 spectators line Downtown streets each year in anticipation of Lowell’s only nighttime parade, the Annual City Of Lights Holiday Parade!
The fun starts at noon with entertainment and window decorating and hot chocolate contests at participating downtown businesses. Other activities include:
● Photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus, 1-3 p.m. in Lowell City Hall
● A holiday movie, The Rise of the Guardians, will be shown at 2 p.m. at the MCC Donahue Family Arts Center Recital Hall, 240 Central Street
● The Brush Art Gallery and Studios annual Festival of Wreaths—wreaths will be on display at the
Brush, 256 Market Street, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
● Hot chocolate and window decorating contests at participating downtown businesses (vote for your favorite!)—all afternoon
● The Pollard Memorial Library will hold a wreath decorating workshop—for information or to register, contact the library at 978-674-4120 or go to http://lowelllibrary.org/events
● St. Anne’s Church, 237 Merrimack Street, will host The Gentlemen Songsters in a holiday concert at 6 p.m.
● Other entertainment and activities to be announced
This signature City of Lowell event brings a contingent of high-stepping marching bands, fabulous holiday-themed floats, spectacular performance groups, and local personalities.
City of Lights dates to the 1950s and over the years it has evolved and continued to provide holiday joy for thousands, drawing attendees from across the Greater Lowell community.
The parade begins at 4:30 p.m. led by the Grand Marshals and followed by bands, floats, specialty vehicles, antique cars and marching groups. Santa and Mrs. Claus will ride in on their special sleigh. The parade launches from Jackson Street, turning onto Central then Merrimack before ending at City Hall.
Following the parade, Santa, Mayor John Leahy and the Grand Marshals will lead a countdown for the official lighting of City Hall. Attendees are encouraged to stroll through downtown to view all the holiday displays and patronize one of Lowell’s fine dining establishments.
For more information on City of Lights activities and schedules, go to www.lowellcityoflights.org.
Kick off the sparkling holiday season with our guide to Boston Holiday Lights. From drive-thru experiences to winter wonderlands, find some twinkling light displays to brighten your winter.
● 11:00 am - 8:00 pm: Festivities
● 4:30 pm: Parade
Jackson Street, Lowell, MA, 01852 map
Downtown Lowell, from Jackson Street to JFK Plaza
|RELATED LINKS||↑ top|
Popular ResourcesBoston with Kids
Free Things to Do
Family & Kids Events
Mass RMV - DMV
Boston Birthday Parties
Rose Kennedy Greenway
Boston Whale Watching