Summer Solstice Celebration 2019 at the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
Celebrate the longest day of the year and mark the beginning of the summer season at the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture.
The community is invited to a night at the museums to celebrate the Summer Solstice. Enjoy FREE admission to all four museums, join in a variety of activities, see performances, and grab some food on this special night of the year!
- At the Harvard Museum of Natural History: Admire Harvard’s internationally acclaimed “Glass Flowers.' This stunning collection of hand-crafted plant models was created by Czech glass artisans Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka.
- At the Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology: Explore more than 600 objects from Asia, Oceania, and the Americas in All the World Is Here: Harvard’s Peabody Museum and the Invention of American Anthropology.
- At the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments: Learn how scientific instruments have influenced the development of astronomy, navigation, physics, biology, medicine, electricity, and communication in Time, Life & Matter.
- At the Harvard Semitic Museum: Use unique augmented reality technology to “take” an Egyptian Hippo Goddess out of the case, and expand her into a statue you can even walk around!
- Make a summer crown with fresh flowers and greens to wear during the event.
- Enter the Solstice Raffle to win HMSC museum memberships and special gifts from our museum shop.
- Marvel at circus performers
- Enjoy tasty treats from the event food trucks.
- Fire jumping & flame tattoos!
Animal Craze Traveling Farm
Meet and greet a few furry farm animals visiting the museums to celebrate the beginning of summer.
REVMA, 6:15–6:45 pm
Dance to the rhythms of traditional Greek melodies from the Aegean, Dodekanese, and Ionian islands, powerful odd-metered Macedonian and Thracian rhythms, and the delicate modal tones of urban Smyrnaika. REVMA brings to life the life-embracing passion and wit of Greek culture shaped by a history of struggle, war, migration, and resilience.
Flamenco Boston, 7:00-7:30 pm
Flamenco is an eclectic art form from southern Spain that draws on the influences of Andalusians, Moors, Sephardic Jews, Indians, and Gypsies. Experience the intricate guitar playing, passionate singing, and dynamic footwork characteristic of flamenco with Flamenco Boston.
Ulster Landing, 7:45-8:20 pm
Enjoy folk music from Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Cornwall! Ulster Landing is a Boston-based band of fiddle, harp, bouzouki, and uilleann (Irish) pipes. The group’s name was inspired by the Irish province of Ulster and the musicians honor the variety of musical styles found across the diverse Celtic nations.
Confirmed Food Trucks:
- Ben & Jerry’s ice cream
- Bon Me pan-Asian delights
- Tenoch Mexican tortas
- Zaaki Mediterranean cuisine
Presented by the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture.
Visit website for event details: hmsc.harvard.edu
Free event parking at the 52 Oxford Street Garage.
Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, 11 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138.
Free and open to the public
26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA, 02138 map
|RELATED LINKS||↑ top|
Popular ResourcesBoston with Kids
Free Things to Do
Family & Kids Events
Mass RMV - DMV
Boston Birthday Parties
Boston Kids Furniture