USS Salem at the Naval Shipbuilding Museum
The main attraction here is the USS Salem, a heavy cruiser built at the Quincy shipyard where it is displayed. Tours of the ship take about an hour. Group tours and group overnight stays are also available.
The USNSM is home to the USS Salem, the world's only preserved Heavy Cruiser. We are located in the former Quincy Fore River Shipyard, once one of the Nation's largest Shipbuilding Enterprises.
Spend the night aboard the USS Salem with the Overnight Adventure Program. Visit the Salem History page and check out the new historical documents section. Much more coming soon!
The USS Salem is available for special events such as birthday parties, reunions, and retirements.
Open Daily: 10-5 (summer) Sat.-Sun: 10-4 (winter) Mini-Golf: 10-8 (summer daily)
Admission is $10 for adults, $8 senior citizens, and children ages 4 - 12 years.
Children 3 and under are free.
739 Washington Street, Quincy, MA map
From Boston and the North
1. Take Route 93 (Southeast Expressway) to exit 12 (Route 3A/Neponset/Quincy).
2. Go across the Neponset River Bridge, staying to the left, onto Quincy Shore Drive.
3. Go to the end of Quincy Shore Drive to Sea Street. Turn right on Sea Street.
4. At the next traffic light take a left onto Southern Artery.
5. Stay on Southern Artery until the intersection with Washington Street (Route 3A).
6. Go left at the lights onto Route 3A south.
7. Approximately one mile south you will come to a rotary. Look to your right for Harbor Express and USS Salem signs.
8. Proceed through the ticket gates (you will need to take a parking ticket, but parking is free) and go to the end of the pier. Board USS Salem by the gangway.
From Cape Cod and south of Quincy
1. Take Route 3 North towards Braintree.
2. Take Union Street (Braintree) exit #17.
3. Take Right onto Union Street at Sunoco Gas Station.
4. Follow Union Street to Route 53 (Quincy Avenue).
5. Turn left onto Route 53.
6. Follow Route 53 to East Howard Street (the shipyard will be on the right, Burger King on your left).
7. Turn right onto East Howard Street. Follow East Howard Street until you come to traffic lights.
8. Turn right. Proceed to the rotary.
9. As you enter the rotary, look to your right for Harbor Express and USS Salem signs.
10. Proceed through the ticket gates (you will need to take a parking ticket, but parking is free) and go to the end of the pier. Board USS Salem by the gangway.
By Public Transportation
Take the MBTA red line subway Braintree train to Quincy Center. Exit the station toward Hancock Street. Take bus 220, 221 or 222 to the rotary at the foot of the Fore River Bridge. Walk carefully through the parking lot to the USS Salem. Exact fare of 75 cents is required for the bus. The subway fare booth will make change.
|RELATED LINKS||↑ top|
Info changes frequently. We cannot warrant it. Verify with USS Salem at the Naval Shipbuilding Museum before making the trek. If you find an error, please report it...
Popular ResourcesBoston with Kids
Free Things to Do
Family & Kids Events
Mass RMV - DMV
Boston Birthday Parties
Rose Kennedy Greenway
Boston Whale Watching